Wednesday, December 10, 2014

prufrock's yellow fog

Yesterday someone asked about the imagery of the yellow fog in Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."  We discussed the man made-ness of the fog, the sickly aspect, and the meandering flirtatiousness which which the fog moved.

One of the things I loved about college, and that I can now explore  24/7 access to thanks to the Internet, is this: no matter how specific or even ridiculous a question is, you can bet that someone somewhere has thought deeply on the topic and written about it.

I found an article by John Hakac entitled, "The Yellow Fog of 'Prufrock'" (originally published in The Bulletin of the Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association, Vol. 26, No. 2 [Jun., 1972], pp. 52-54.)  Reading the article online is free and requires registration with JSTOR.  I highly recommend that you register with JSTOR so that you too can peruse its online stacks and avail yourself of all it has to offer.  However, most of you won't, so I am including screen shots of this article after the jump.  I thought twice before doing this and describing my decision in a blog post; Aaron Swartz was prosecuted for downloading articles from JSTOR, and I don't know whether the organization would endorse my decision.  So, if you have any ethical reservations about reading something that is available for free (apart from the value of your registration info) on the Internet, please don't click "Read More" below.  Otherwise, Read More.




















No comments:

Post a Comment